Dave Holland's MUA page
A MUA is a Mail User Agent, i.e. the piece of software
that you interact with to read and send email. I still haven't found a
MUA I'm completely happy with. At the moment I use Mutt.
Mutt is a "mongrel" of an email
program, originally written by Michael Elkins. It's based loosely on elm
with occasional features from mh, Pine, etc showing through. I use it
Mutt has other useful features and is under current development. See
FAQ for more information.
For more information on Pine, see the University of Washington
- it can thread mailing lists
- it has colour support
- it has good MIME support (including PGP/MIME signatures)
- easy to open embedded URLs in email
- the key bindings are customisable
- it's smaller than Pine (typically 280Kb vs. 1.5Mb!)
My Pine Patches
I have made available a patch for Pine
v3.96 which implements the following changes:
This patch is released under the terms of the GNU GPL version 2.
- Much shorter message-id's
- Never offer to delete old mail at the monthly "pruning"
- Some use of colour (status bar and messages) under xterm and Linux
- No extra newline between attribution and quoted text in reply
- Attachments of type 'text/plain' are shown in the message viewer
rather than having to be explicitly chosen
- The bug with multiple To: or Cc: lines has been fixed
$Id: mua.html,v 1.4 2002-11-06 16:48:04 dholland Exp $